Thursday, March 09, 2006

Love and the Human Race

School - Got my History Test back today. 100%! But school is not what this post is going to be about.

I just watched "Remember The Titans" (for like the 18th time). Racism was supposedly settled after desegregation. Well, look at today's society. The are still plenty of people who stereo type persons of a different ethnicity. They see them in the streets and think "better walk on the other side." In Remember the Titans, black and white teenagers set aside their differences and were friends on and off the field. If they can do it we can, too, as a global community. The Declaration of Independence states that " All men are created equal." If this is what our country was founded on in 1776, why did it take until 1865 for the abolition of slavery, and until 1920 for womens' votes, and 1954 for desegregation of schools in America? Leviticus 18:19 states love your neighbor as yourself. Well, that's what we should do. Which leads me into my next topic of discussion.

Love. The hardest emotion for a human being to understand. According to dictionary.com love is A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness. I used to believe that to love someone, you had to be, or want to be, in a relationship with them (excluding family and relatives). I have learned a lot in the past year, but one thing that stands out is the you don't have to be a boyfriend or a girlfriend to love someone. Love can sometimes be seen be asking yourself this question: "Would I do anything for this person?" If the answer is yes, then that is love. But, that is not the only way of seeing love, not by a long shot. You have to find your own way. I love my friends, my family, and other acquaintances in my life. They are not my girlfriend or lover of any sort. But I love them all the same. Why, because they mean something to me. The make my life more bearable, more liveable. I love them because they have helped to shape my very being. Without them, I would not be who I am today. I would do anything for them. C. S. Lewis once said: "We love to know that we are not alone." The people who we care about in our lives are witnesses to what we accomplish here on this Earth. Love is the repayment for this act of goodwill. That is why we love.

4 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, Blogger Leon said...

Great post Steve! I mentioned it in my blog and may have more comments later.

 
At 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked reading that. Because it's true. And you are right. People are still racist.

And I hate the way a dictionary defines "love". Because the people who came up with the definitions in the dictionary make it sound so concrete and simple. I'll bet you the people who wrote the dictionary and defined that word weren't married.

.&Smiles.

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Steve said...

You're right Catherine. And thanks, Leon.

 
At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. skin care information Best affiliate money making programs Vw aircooled rebuild breast enlargement lindsay lohan gay spandex stories Ersatzteile peugeot

 

Post a Comment

<< Home